Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day fourteen: riding the bridge

THEORY & METHOD

Once you've mastered the bridge on the ground, riding it shouldn't be too hard.  The principles are the same; I just ride at the bridge, keeping the colts nose tipped towards it.  If he needs to stop and think or look at the bridge, that's fine.  As long as the colt is trying, I'm not going to get after him at all.  I want the bridge to be a place he can rest and relax.  If I start nagging him to get up on it, it's not going to be as 'safe' a place anymore. 

Please use caution and common sense.  Horses are large animals, with an exceptional amount of power and strength.  They are also concerned above all with their own personal safety, and will do whatever they feel it takes to keep themselves from harm.  Being individuals that act and react differently, the only certainty you have when working a horse is uncertainty.  I am a professional trainer with twenty plus years experience, yet even with the knowledge I possess, I still get hurt from time to time.  This blog and the accompanying media are for entertainment purposes only.  No responsibility will be assumed for injuries or damages incurred while trying to use these methods at home.  Please ride responsibly; protective gear can save your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment